Vsa - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Autocross & Sanctioned Drag Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 03:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Tony Loakz
Vsa

I was driving the other dAY and threw a u-turn, but out of habit of driving my RWD Nova i punched it missing that drift feeling. but of course the back doidnt kick around like i planned haha jk but the VSA light popped on as the car continued turning when i no longer wanted it too..so my ? is If the VSA was off would the car have turned even more on its own then what i wanted? or would i have had better control if it was off? also if it is off or on what would be the differences on a windy road?...... full throttle on a straight away.....a launch? basically what EXACTLY does it do with it on or off not HOW IT WORKS but more the effects
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Matt
VSA keeps the front wheels from spinning by applying the brake. So, if you take a sharp turn and punch it, VSA will engage and keep you from spinning the front wheels and thus minimizes excessive plowing.

However, since the Si's have a LSD, both wheels should start to spin at the same time, making VSA a little less necessary then a normal FWD car without an LSD.

If you're on the track, turn VSA off. Otherwise, keep it on. It may not be the most sophisticated traction control, but it may save your A$$ in some unexpected situations.
matchu865 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would also expect it to prevent over steer by applying individual brakes as required. It does seem to allow for some slip though so I'm not sure would slow you down much on track.
bludragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludragon View Post
I would also expect it to prevent over steer by applying individual brakes as required. It does seem to allow for some slip though so I'm not sure would slow you down much on track.
I'm not completely sure if it prevents oversteer or just wheelspin. You definitely wanna turn it off on the track though because it uses the brakes which are already undersized.
matchu865 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mike
From my experience, it is definitely a good insurance to keep on when you're not tracking or purposely really pushing your car. Although a simple traction control relative other manufacturers, it definitely works in bad situations (hydroplaning, understeer, oversteer... usually in emergencies, you will unintentionally transition to one of these conditions)

On the track my first time ever, I started off my first day with it on to get used to driving the line and feeling out the car. When I turned it off the biggest change was exiting corners under throttle. It had been cutting the gas as it sensed the inside front wheel slipping. In these cases, there really isn't any weight on that wheel so it will slip under full power... but the LSD keeps the vast majority of the power still transferring to the outside wheel. So I saw huge improvements in corner exit speeds with it off. When you start off tracking for the first time, you probably don't want to be doing any trail braking or throttle-induced oversteer. Gradually work up to these things, and you'll be fine with the VSA off.

As far as the brakes heating up from the VSA... I wouldn't worry about it. I think it modulates the throttle for the front tires and brakes on the rears, but on the track there's so little use of the rear brakes that heat has never been an issue for me at the rear.

Hope this helps,
Mike
mikeJstein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

James
I've heard that when you're not running the TPMS sensors the VSA can't be turned off. Is there anything you can do to disable VSA when running a set of track wheels without TPMS?
jamesb18cjdm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
VIP Member

Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb18cjdm View Post
I've heard that when you're not running the TPMS sensors the VSA can't be turned off. Is there anything you can do to disable VSA when running a set of track wheels without TPMS?
i dont think thats true, cause i dont have tpms(my lights always on) but i ccan turn it on and off, and you can definatly tell if its on or off when launching... i had heard that b4 to so i tried launching with it, and without, theres defitnaly a difference..

but on 2nd thought, i do have hondata FP, so that may have something to do with it..
killswitch21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.