New Rules for 2012 *GS can have a rear sway bar* - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Autocross & Sanctioned Drag Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

New Rules for 2012 *GS can have a rear sway bar*

Didn't see this posted here yet, but in my regional forums someone posted a link to the new rules for 2012.

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...ck-dec-bod.pdf

The Main thing for us:

(Page 6)
ITEM 10) Change 13.7:
“13.7 ANTI-ROLL (SWAY) BARS
A. Substitution, addition, or removal of a single anti-roll bar and supporting hardware (brackets, end links, bushings,
etc.) is permitted.
B. Substitution, addition, or removal of an anti-roll bar may serve no other purpose than that of an anti-roll bar.
C. The use of any bushing material is permitted. A bushing may be implemented as a bearing.
D. No modification to the body, frame, or other components to accommodate anti-roll bar addition or substitution
is allowed except for the drilling of holes for mounting bolts. Non-standard lateral members which connect
between the brackets for the bar are not permitted.

There is also mention of a change to the use of Camber Bolts:

ITEM 11) - Change 13.8.E:
“If offered by the manufacturer for a particular model and year, the use of shims, special bolts, removal of material
to enlarge mounting holes, and similar methods are allowed and the resulting alignment settings are permitted
even if outside the normal specification or range of specifications recommended by the manufacturer. If enlarging
mounting holes is specifically authorized but no material removal limits are specified, material removal is restricted
to the amount necessary to achieve the maximum factory alignment specification.”

So if i understand this correctly if Honda allows some material to be removed to achieve more camber than we maybe able to pull slightly more with the stock Crash Bolts?

Discuss...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Some manufacturers mention removing material to gain camber, but Honda does not. The only camber you'll get in Stock class will be less than 1 degree from the OE crash bolts. This new SCCA rule may as well have been called the Hyundai Genesis rule - they will be able to get more camber from the 'off-road use only' bolts that were illegal until the rule change.
revvhappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

2012 Solo Rules - DRAFT posted!

So, rules parsers.

A. Substitution, addition, or removal of a single anti-roll bar and supporting hardware (brackets, end links, bushings, etc.) is permitted.

--->

Substitution, addition or removal of a single anti-roll bar is permitted.
Substitution, addition, or removal of supporting hardware (brackets, end links, bushings, etc.) is permitted.

So, it could be argued (I would not) that you can replace the rear sway bar AND end links and bushings front and rear.

-mr. bill
mrbill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rule of Thumb in SCCA rules: If it doesn't say you CAN, then you CAN'T.
revvhappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

There's no question that it says you can. But that's only because geeks can't write.

What the geeks who wrote it meant is a different story.

-mr. bill
Old 01-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Anthony
It does say "supporting hardware," right after "single anti-roll bar" though, meaning only the hardware to support the single altered bar can be changed.
BlackFA522 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

I think it's clear you CANNOT change both bars (my opinion as a former SCCA committee chair), but the opinion that matters is the SEB, so I'd encourage you to either visit the SCCAForums.com, there's 10 pages of comments about the new rule or write the SEB directly (seb@scca.org).

I bet in the forum discussion, there's definitive feedback provided on what you can and cannot do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill View Post
There's no question that it says you can. But that's only because geeks can't write.

What the geeks who wrote it meant is a different story.

-mr. bill
typer_801 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

btw-is anyone aware of a bigger RSB than 25.4 mm (1 in.)?

I see HPD has one for the Si.

http://racing.honda.com/hpd/parts/pa...52300-F23S-A01
typer_801 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 08:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

It's completely unambigous that you can only change ONE bar.
But it's ambiguous if you can change brackets, endlinks, bushings etc for only that one bar.

Sorry, just a tech writer geek giving folks a hard time.

The ambiguity would be removed with a simple addition, "...and its...."

-mr. bill
Old 01-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Anthony
Quote:
Originally Posted by typer_801 View Post
btw-is anyone aware of a bigger RSB than 25.4 mm (1 in.)?

I see HPD has one for the Si.

http://racing.honda.com/hpd/parts/pa...52300-F23S-A01
How can you buy this stuff?
Old 03-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

You can't buy the Honda Racing Line parts for the street. And you shouldn't run them on the street.

I'm ordering the Progress Rear Sway bar. (Update - Progress unobtanium, went with adjustable Whiteline.) (It is ironic that the racing part is cheaper than streets part though.)

-mr. bill

Last edited by mrbill; 04-10-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

Anthony
I wouldnt have bought it anyways. Thats a little too much of stiffness increase for me I think. Also, it would break the stock endlinks very easily, whereas the progress is okay with just the strengthening brackets.

I'm about to order soon as well, i think. I have been considering the tsx brake swap for the track but then again that will put me out of stock class autox... hard decision.

Also, konis are now 20% off so i might go for those, an rsb, crash bolts, and a good alignment

HFP suspension is cheap now too, too many options!

I looked into it a little more a few months back when I saw that link. You can buy those parts, as long as you register and post your results from your last races (autox would work).
http://racing.honda.com/hpd/race-for...quirements.pdf

They have brake lines, engine mounts, upper control arm bushings F/R, front sway bar bushings, camber and caster plates for konis, brake pads, and an LSD.

Last edited by BlackFA522; 03-04-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

Note that HFP *springs* will punt you out of GS. (And they are way expensive if all you are keeping is the shocks.)

-mr. bill
Old 03-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #14 (permalink)

Anthony
Yes i realize, but if I am doing the tsx brake swap as well, I mean why not. Hint, they are 350 on ebay right now shhhhh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.