Front swaybar removal for drag racing only. - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Autocross & Sanctioned Drag Racing

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 10:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 386
Front swaybar removal for drag racing only.

I was thinking of taking off my front swaybar when I go drag racing only.
I was only doing it for weight reduction but does anybody know if
it will affect the launch. Will I get less traction? If traction stays the same
i will do it to lose some weight but I'm kind of skeptical on this. Has anybody
removed it for drag racing? If so, was there a loss in traction right out of the gate? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
duramacr is offline  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisiana
Age: 29
Posts: 10,959
Stephen
the thing is hollow, i don't think i'd bother with it...
w00t692 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 12:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
VIP Member
 
K20Z3allmotor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ventura
Posts: 2,873
No skunk2 parts inside
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00t692 View Post
the thing is hollow, i don't think i'd bother with it...
Si sway is solid, ex and lesser models are hollow
K20Z3allmotor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 386
Hey whats up bro, ya I got the lx front already because I used to road race with it. I took my rear one off but the front one is another 12lb.If I don't need it why have it.
duramacr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 03:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
VIP Member
 
K20Z3allmotor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ventura
Posts: 2,873
No skunk2 parts inside
Quote:
Originally Posted by duramacr View Post
Hey whats up bro, ya I got the lx front already because I used to road race with it. I took my rear one off but the front one is another 12lb.If I don't need it why have it.
the lx front sway is only 4.5 lbs. its hollow. i would leave it in
K20Z3allmotor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
stabn with a purple knife
 
Berndonfat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Durham NC
Age: 26
Posts: 4,552
Brandon
if you value the handling on your car you will leave the rear in and switch back to the si front sway. The suspension set up in these cars are not at all like the older civics. you want a bigger front sway up front
Berndonfat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Texas
Age: 33
Posts: 25,682
Rich
I'm wondering why you would remove the weight from the front of the car...which would be the side that needs as much traction as possible.if anything you should remove the rear sway bar and spare tires/tool kit before removing weight from the front.
R3TARD3D pacman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
VIP Member
 
K20Z3allmotor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ventura
Posts: 2,873
No skunk2 parts inside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berndonfat View Post
if you value the handling on your car you will leave the rear in and switch back to the si front sway. The suspension set up in these cars are not at all like the older civics. you want a bigger front sway up front
driving a Si with 500 lbs weight reduction on stock sways is like driving a death trap. oversteer city..

i actually use the base model front sway and dont run anything in the rear.
K20Z3allmotor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
VIP Member
 
K20Z3allmotor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ventura
Posts: 2,873
No skunk2 parts inside
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3TARD3D pacman View Post
I'm wondering why you would remove the weight from the front of the car...which would be the side that needs as much traction as possible.if anything you should remove the rear sway bar and spare tires/tool kit before removing weight from the front.
ur correct, wanna concentrate more on rear weight then front for drag racing.
K20Z3allmotor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: houston
Posts: 717
removing the sway bar from your vehicle wont do anything for you at the drag strip...if anything for rear wheel drive cars you would want to raise the front endo of your car up a lil for weight transfer..now on front wheel drive cars...you would want the front end to stay close to ground as possible...swaybars are designed to keep wheels lifting left or right when turning on the ground
chuyito79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 12:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Texas
Age: 33
Posts: 25,682
Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyito79 View Post
removing the sway bar from your vehicle wont do anything for you at the drag strip...if anything for rear wheel drive cars you would want to raise the front endo of your car up a lil for weight transfer..now on front wheel drive cars...you would want the front end to stay close to ground as possible...swaybars are designed to keep wheels lifting left or right when turning on the ground
technically wrong,since you are making the car lighter you will be very very slightly faster than you would be on the same run if you had them on.
R3TARD3D pacman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 01:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
stabn with a purple knife
 
Berndonfat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Durham NC
Age: 26
Posts: 4,552
Brandon
Quote:
Originally Posted by K20Z3allmotor View Post
driving a Si with 500 lbs weight reduction on stock sways is like driving a death trap. oversteer city..

i actually use the base model front sway and dont run anything in the rear.
i experience oversteer city in a stock weight si at autocross pretty frequently
Berndonfat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 01:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Mr.Polo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Marietta,GA
Age: 24
Posts: 1,807
removing a sway bar for weight reduction? how about lolz city
Mr.Polo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 01:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Texas
Age: 33
Posts: 25,682
Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Polo View Post
removing a sway bar for weight reduction? how about lolz city
if that was the only thing done then I would lolz with you...but if that was part of an extensive list that focused on shaving every possible oz and lb possible then it'd just be on par for building a race car. More gains would be had removing the rear seat than both of the swaybars combined.
R3TARD3D pacman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 01:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
VIP Member
 
K20Z3allmotor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ventura
Posts: 2,873
No skunk2 parts inside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berndonfat View Post
i experience oversteer city in a stock weight si at autocross pretty frequently
its alot worst when the car is lighter and more weight is toward the front of the car than before.
K20Z3allmotor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 01:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Texas
Age: 33
Posts: 25,682
Rich
on wet roads I oversteer alot while taking turns with two space saver spares on the back of my car
R3TARD3D pacman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 03:29 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 386
Guys my car has a lot of weight reduction. I was just trying to take off a little more. And for those people who don't wanr oversteer, you don't know **** about road racing. On these cars
oversteer is what you want when road racing or auto x. A progress bar in the rear and an lx up front will make your car handle better in the turns. I bought this car for road racing but it
got to expensive for me so I went back to good ole drag racing which is a lot cheaper.
I was just asking this question because maybe someone had done it and they had better traction.
duramacr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 03:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
VIP Member



 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 37,343
I say keep it, you want the rigidity on the drive wheels (hop and what not).
Strate L O S S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 04:00 AM   #19 (permalink)
stabn with a purple knife
 
Berndonfat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Durham NC
Age: 26
Posts: 4,552
Brandon
Quote:
Originally Posted by duramacr View Post
Guys my car has a lot of weight reduction. I was just trying to take off a little more. And for those people who don't wanr oversteer, you don't know **** about road racing. On these cars
oversteer is what you want when road racing or auto x. A progress bar in the rear and an lx up front will make your car handle better in the turns. I bought this car for road racing but it
got to expensive for me so I went back to good ole drag racing which is a lot cheaper.
I was just asking this question because maybe someone had done it and they had better traction.
you obviously dont know bleep about road racing. I wonder why all the top placing autox gurus and track rats havent removed their swaybars or gone to something smaller? probably because the suspension setup in this car isnt the same as a double wishbone set up and it will make it worse. just because your car feels like it handles better doesnt mean it does. just like all the dudes who drop their car 2 inches and is like " YO BRO MY KAR HANDLES MAD FLATZ IN DA BENDS!!!"
Berndonfat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 04:01 AM   #20 (permalink)
stabn with a purple knife
 
Berndonfat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Durham NC
Age: 26
Posts: 4,552
Brandon
Quote:
Originally Posted by K20Z3allmotor View Post
its alot worst when the car is lighter and more weight is toward the front of the car than before.
if you want to talk about light i have a 1900lb 86 corolla gts sitting in the driveway
Berndonfat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OEM Front Badge Removal (No Break, No Bumper Removal) rob2093124 Inside and Out 12 04-08-2012 03:27 AM
Turbos, front wheel drive, autocross, and drag racing Cookstar Autocross & Sanctioned Drag Racing 24 06-23-2009 11:22 PM
Removal of back seat, and spare tire ect. for drag racing or autocross 954K20_SI Autocross & Sanctioned Drag Racing 10 11-21-2006 06:35 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:08 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
copyright 8thcivic.com - all rights reserved