z3 TIMING CHAIN COVER BAFFLE oil pan solution - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Autocross & Sanctioned Drag Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Lightbulb z3 TIMING CHAIN COVER BAFFLE oil pan solution

so i have been looking into a baffled oil pan for my 8th gen si and i have been weighing my options:
-toda oil pan : $850 and limited avail (only oil pan that will work with stock z3 pump)
- rsx pump swap with baffled oil pan: very interested in the complete hytech kit. but didnt fell like ripping apart my motor. parts arent that expensive but, the labor would cost some one alotif they could not do the swap themselves

plus the modified rsx oil pump is only benificial on a motor with upgraded valve train and upgraded connecting rods. stock internals and oil pump reach their limit around 8600 rpm.

so after calling around i was introduced to a company that is starting out
TRAC TUFF STUFF link: http://tractuffstuff.com/ and they just fabbed up a baffle kit for the rsx oil pump. but i was in luck as most of you guys know the mail problem is oil shooting up the timing chain cover under hard G's. they have a baffle plate that gets installed between the block and the oil pan on the timing cover side the motor. it solves the main problem with our cars, for less $$ then filling up our gas tanks with premium.
i recieved the baffle palte and was very impressed with the quality of it. very clean cut. i could tell someone took the time to do this right. simple yet functional.

to TRAC TUFF STUFF

below is a before timing chain baffle plate, and a after. along with a step by step DIY

as far as installation i asked if any machining had to be done to the oil pan i was told :
"Just add a little more Hondabond or RTV then you would normally use, in the area where there is a height difference (due to the baffle). The sealant should squish out and fill that small gap. The alternative... and original idea was to have the cover machined so it dropped in and everything sat flush, but after trying it the way we realized it worked without a problem.

Staff~"
Attached Thumbnails
z3 TIMING CHAIN COVER BAFFLE oil pan solution-before.jpg   z3 TIMING CHAIN COVER BAFFLE oil pan solution-after.jpg   z3 TIMING CHAIN COVER BAFFLE oil pan solution-install-1.jpg   z3 TIMING CHAIN COVER BAFFLE oil pan solution-install-2.jpg   z3 TIMING CHAIN COVER BAFFLE oil pan solution-install-3.jpg  

z3 TIMING CHAIN COVER BAFFLE oil pan solution-install-4.jpg   z3 TIMING CHAIN COVER BAFFLE oil pan solution-install-5.jpg   z3 TIMING CHAIN COVER BAFFLE oil pan solution-install-6.jpg  

Last edited by davistillo773; 12-13-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
VIP Member

No skunk2 parts inside
wrong section
K20Z3allmotor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Full Race FA5
i def want to see this thing!! i have a rsx pump in my current turbo build, but couldnt get myself to spend that money on a baffle pan
Str8JDM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

if a moderator could fix my mistake on the forum i would appreciate it, i just figured this is where it would fit / show the most interest in this category.

i only purchased the 1 plate that works with the stock z3 oil pump, i didnt ask to may questions about the rsx oil pump setup. all i know is that are around 5 pieces in that kit. shoot TTS an email

Last edited by davistillo773; 12-05-2011 at 06:43 PM.
davistillo773 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 12:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

bump, posted pictures
Old 12-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

TTS' site is up!
K-Series Timing Chain Baffle

already have the catch can on order
Old 12-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
VIP Member

buddy, you should not sustain RPMs above 8000 on the z3 oil pump.

especially on a circuit track pulling G's.
Strate L O S S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davistillo773 View Post
TTS' site is up!
K-Series Timing Chain Baffle

already have the catch can on order
your motor also appears to be removed from chassis for this install. RSX pump would have been a straight forward install from that point forward.

some smoothing of the oil feed on the pump and it's good for sustained RPMs of 9000.

Thanks for posting this.
Strate L O S S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 12:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Full Race FA5
this thing is mainly for autocross or turning right? so the oil doesnt smother the head?
Str8JDM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strate L O S S View Post
your motor also appears to be removed from chassis for this install. RSX pump would have been a straight forward install from that point forward.

some smoothing of the oil feed on the pump and it's good for sustained RPMs of 9000.

Thanks for posting this.
no, im sorry that is not my motor, my motor is in my car. that is a motor TTS is working on. i just posted the pics TTS sent to me.

as far as what a baffle is for, it is to keep oil around the pump pickup so the pump has oil to circulate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.