Road Atlanta HPDE 08/06-08/07 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Autocross & Sanctioned Drag Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Road Atlanta HPDE 08/06-08/07

Anyone going or want to go? I am working on getting registered in HPDE 1 for the event. It's my first NASA HPDE but I have done circuit lapping at other venues outside of NASA sanctions. Hope to see some other SI's out there running! I will be there in the mid afternoon on Friday before the event.

NASA :: South East Region

https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1160
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 01:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Just got back home and I am dead tired. Whole weekend went well and the car handled surprisingly neutral. The only time where a rear sway would have helped would have been in the slower parts of the track where trail braking wasn't enough.

Speaking of brakes.... Whatever any of you do please PLEASE do not put any pad on this car that even mentions that it can be used on the street if you plan on running ANY circuit event, even a typical DE event.. Our 3000 lb sled will destroy any partial street pad you throw at it if you have a similar braking style to me. I dump the pedal to threshold as quick and smooth as possible directly after coming off the accelerator and then trail off the pedal into the turn in. First things I will have on this car before my next track day is AT LEAST a set of full race pads for the front of the car (Carbotech XP10/12 or PFC01). More than likely though I am going to put a biased setup on the car and run a slightly less aggressive pad on the rear. More on this later and some videos where I almost eat an e46 m3 for lunch going into turn 3 due to my brake pedal hitting the firewall.

Now that I got my rant out of the way I can say that I met my goal which was to run a 1:55 with these y brakes before end of the weekend and I did it on my final DE session. The brakes were so bad that I bet I could have run a 1:53.xx or maybe even a high 1:52 if I had a proper braking setup.

Last edited by hukdizzle; 08-08-2011 at 01:23 AM.
hukdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2011, 02:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

were you running on street tires or r-comps?
sgdfx30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

225/45/17 Dunlop z1 star specs.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

And here is the best lap I could muster with the terrible brakes. I was a bit hot into 10a which probably tacked on an extra 2/10ths or so for the lap as I couldn't set my self up properly for 10b and track out properly under suzuki bridge.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
5SK

Steven
good luck
5SK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5SK View Post
good luck
Thanks I suppose lol. The event is already over.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
5SK

Steven
oh my badz im just forum whoring dont mind me how did u do?
Old 08-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5SK View Post
oh my badz im just forum whoring dont mind me how did u do?
Considering I was using about double the braking zone I typically would due to the terrible pad compound I think I did well. Saturday morning I was running 1:59's and my goal by the end of Sunday was to run a solid 1:55 and I did it.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
5SK

Steven
good 2 hear man
Old 08-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Pete
fellow track guy and not auto-x Hey how did your tires hold up? They get greasy early on or did they hold their composure? How fast did you get in the back stretch? Listening it sounded like you got in 5th gear. Nice video and thanks for posting!
LudeAEM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudeAEM View Post
fellow track guy and not auto-x Hey how did your tires hold up? They get greasy early on or did they hold their composure? How fast did you get in the back stretch? Listening it sounded like you got in 5th gear. Nice video and thanks for posting!
Max speed on that lap was 111.7mph on the back straight before going into the braking zone on 10a. Tires held up well, no issues at all and -2.3' of camber in the front seems to be the perfect amount. I was running 31psi Front/34 psi Rear cold. Directly after coming off the track the tire pressures were 39psi at all four corners. Only time the tires over heated was when I was really pushing them through turn 3-5. Sliding around heats them up very quickly. If i was smooth and keeping the slip angle within single digit degrees the tires handled beautifully. As far as tire wear is concerned it was very minimal and consistent.

Last edited by hukdizzle; 08-10-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

Matt
I went to Road Atlanta Jul 29-30 with my stock 08 FG2 running the same Dunlops. Best lap was 1:55.6 or .7, so good job! I ran into the same exact issue as you. I showed up to the event with new Hawk HP+ brake pads, and they were awful!!! The pads got way too hot and the pedal went to mush. They also ate up the stock rotors, putting really deep groove into them. Sunday I went off at 10a going about 70mph because the brakes simply didn't stop the car. The next time we're gonna try some race-only pads on the oem Brembo rotors. I will probably keep HP+'s on the rear. Nice Driving though, I wish the stock brakes were bigger!

Is your car completely stock? And since you had a better lap time, I have to tell you that my max speed on the back straight was 115.5mph :P
matchu865 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchu865 View Post
I went to Road Atlanta Jul 29-30 with my stock 08 FG2 running the same Dunlops. Best lap was 1:55.6 or .7, so good job! I ran into the same exact issue as you. I showed up to the event with new Hawk HP+ brake pads, and they were awful!!! The pads got way too hot and the pedal went to mush. They also ate up the stock rotors, putting really deep groove into them. Sunday I went off at 10a going about 70mph because the brakes simply didn't stop the car. The next time we're gonna try some race-only pads on the oem Brembo rotors. I will probably keep HP+'s on the rear. Nice Driving though, I wish the stock brakes were bigger!

Is your car completely stock? And since you had a better lap time, I have to tell you that my max speed on the back straight was 115.5mph :P
Damn, 115 on the back straight eh? You must have had a great run out of 7. I felt ok at 7 but I think I could have maximized speed there a bit more if I could have really dived into 7 and late apexed out well. Hawks are notorious for eating rotors, if you stick with hawk pads get used to it.

Sucks to hear about your off at 10a, you get into the kitty litter at all? Car ok?

As far as braking system size we can't get much bigger due to a 17" wheel. It just needs venting and better pad material imo.

Car is completely stock except for wheels, tires, flashpro, tune, camber bolts.

Thanks for the kind words!

Last edited by hukdizzle; 08-17-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

Matt
Car is fine, luckily I only went on the grass. A little scary though! I looked at your video and I believe I tracked out a little wider. What data acquisition device are you using? Mine may be a little inaccurate as it is solely gps based.
Are you saying if I stick with hawks I'll have to replace my rotors every event? That would really suck.
matchu865 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 12:17 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchu865 View Post
Car is fine, luckily I only went on the grass. A little scary though! I looked at your video and I believe I tracked out a little wider. What data acquisition device are you using? Mine may be a little inaccurate as it is solely gps based.
Are you saying if I stick with hawks I'll have to replace my rotors every event? That would really suck.
I would have tracked out more on that lap but I was anticipating the pass on the miata and was presenting my self for it. I didn't want to run him over on track out so I kept it inside the gators.

I was using Harrys Lap Timer for the Iphone with the built in GPS device. It's not all that accurate either but it seems to be pretty close.

Basically yes, hawk pads are not rotor friendly. I would recommend carbotechs over the hawks personally as they don't dust as much nor do they eat rotors as quickly as the hawks. They are more pricey than hawks though but as usual, you get what you pay for.

I'm not sure how serious you are about track events and such but having a dedicated set of street/autox pads/rotors and track pads/rotors is the way to go if you can foot the coin for both.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #17 (permalink)

Yep, I'm going to run Carbotech XP10s for track events.
littlewing1208 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.