Hillclimb Civic - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Autocross & Sanctioned Drag Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 03:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Ivan
Hillclimb Civic

Hey guys and gals, thought Id share my recent and first hillclimb videos. This car is my daily driver when Im not in school and otherwise she is my autox, track, solo1 timetrials and now hillclimb car.

Specs: (although they are listed in videos)
-2008 Civic Si Sedan
-Sabelt FIA Race Seat
-TRS 6 Point Harness
-full weight+rollbar+fire extinguisher+me+race suit and apparel = approx 3150lb
-Hawk HP+ pads for daily, autox and hillclimb
-Carbotech Race pads (front only) for track days and solo1
-Used Hoosier A6 takeoffs on some ghetto 23lb Motegi wheels
-Traqmate race data aquisition setup
-bone stock otherwise, AC and Stereo FTMFW

Hillclimb in question:
-54th Annual Knox Mountain Hillclimb in Kelowna, BC, Canada.
-First time up the mountain, car is not even built to the limit of SS2 but somehow I managed a 2nd in SP2.
-This is my only car, I drove it 400km to the event and planned on driving it back. I made it back

This video is my first run, a 2:26 and just me learning the mountain, gives you a decent vantage point:

Here is the 11/10ths Im pushing it and hope to not die run, time: *2:13.725*:

Last edited by eunos; 05-27-2011 at 03:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Pete
Great post. I would love to do this if i didn't live in the damn flat lands of America. Looks like you had a good time.
LudeAEM is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Nice!!!! Looks like fun

Tapatalked from my HTC EVO
MwSlim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Pretty confident driving my friend, congrats on the second place. Takes some stones to push a car through roads with no run off and nothing but trees to stop you.

I have a question for you about your seat. Did you notice any additional head room once you installed the sabelt seat? I have a head room issue right now while wearing my helmet and have considered picking up a corbeau possibly.

Last edited by hukdizzle; 05-27-2011 at 11:01 AM.
hukdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ivan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hukdizzle View Post
Pretty confident driving my friend, congrats on the second place. Takes some stones to push a car through roads with no run off and nothing but trees to stop you.

I have a question for you about your seat. Did you notice any additional head room once you installed the sabelt seat? I have a head room issue right now while wearing my helmet and have considered picking up a corbeau possibly.
Hey man, personally my seat is a lot better. Its an older euro only model that was imported over 7 years ago by a local roadracer. I also have it bolted to the floor on solid sabelt mounts, no rails. So it is lower.

Heres a pic:

Last edited by eunos; 05-27-2011 at 01:39 PM.
eunos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Looks quite a bit lower, nice setup. I am guessing it's about 2 inches lower or so? If I put one I'd probably put it on low rails if possible because I have a co driver who is smaller than me. Is that a custom rollbar/cage?

How did the A6's hold up btw? Seems like they'd probably be at the top of their heat range by the time you got into around 1:30 of that run.

Last edited by hukdizzle; 05-27-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ivan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hukdizzle View Post
Looks quite a bit lower, nice setup. I am guessing it's about 2 inches lower or so? If I put one I'd probably put it on low rails if possible because I have a co driver who is smaller than me. Is that a custom rollbar/cage?

How did the A6's hold up btw? Seems like they'd probably be at the top of their heat range by the time you got into around 1:30 of that run.
Yea, probably 3-4 inches lower between the lower mount and thinner cushion/seat. Its also a side mount, which helps it get lower. I would recommend rails for sure if you could swing it, as it sits now the position is perfect for me and only me. My girlfriend cannot even drive the damn thing because she cant reach the pedals. If I could make a suggestion, dont skimp out and make sure you test fit every seat you are considering. Waist and shoulder measurements are never sufficient. Ive seen local racers both fail with buying seats and suits because they try to save a buck online and cant test fit. The seat is probably the best thing I have done to the car, it eliminates the time lapse while I am waiting for my body to settle. I did not realise how much effort I was exerting on holding myself up, even partial braking heel-toe has become much easier.

The 4 point rollbar is an Autopower unit. Ended up costing me 504$ + 160$ COD shipping. Pain in the ass to install but its bolt in and required removing only the sidebolsters for the wheelwells. Essentially between the way I cut the carpet and the floor mats I can remove the rollbar and place the matts with no visible damage to the car. Autopower makes this rollbar only for the sedan, and its a fairly new item from them, I think its still listed as in "prototype" stages on the website.

The A6 were definitely overheating by the end of the run. They were starting to get a bit greasy and the back end was fighting to come out under braking. Im not sure you can tell in the video but the only sudden corrections I had to make was near the end, where she was more prone to slide. I typically run the pressures on the higher end 38-42psi (because of the stupid rollover and our camber challenge) for autox and ran them a bit lower to try to compensate, about 35psi.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Once this car is out of warranty i'll probably put that bar in there and a seat if I am still running this car. Thanks for the tip on that.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Nice looking runs. I'm not familiar with hillclimbs but I take it you are running in stock class ? What mods are allowed and what safety equipment is required ? Have you had any oil issues(low pressure high oil temps,oil blow by in exhaust or intake etc..) when doing hill climbs trackdays or autocrossing particularly on R compounds?

Have you autocrossed/tracked other cars before the current civic ? I'm curious how you like or compare the LSD in the Civic.
zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2011, 12:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

I also meant to ask if that was wheel hop on the launch? If so is it increased reduced or the same with the Hoosiers ?
zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2011, 01:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ivan
I try to run the civic in as much as I can, but she is essentially bone stock: so that puts me into G Stock (GS) for autox without the seat and into Super Stock 2 (SS2) for Solo1 (time trials, timed higher speed events and hillcimb).

I have not seen any oiling issues as far as Im aware, but I have nothing to gauge that by except the stock gauges. I have seen the "check oil" light come on twice, that occured both times when the car spun 180 degrees violently and the light was gone nearly instantly.

Ive autocrossed probably over 50 different cars. We have some interesting challenges with our club, we do a KFC challenge every year. Im the "colonel" and if you can beat me in your own car you can win a prize. Because of this I was able to drive everything from bone stock MX5s to 450 'charged SM2 M3. I have also co-driven a couple cars, taken novices out in their own cars and even a redbull mini.

The LSD in our car is average, it is clearly not made with a priority on performance but it sure as hell is much better than having no LSD.

As for the launch, its all about smoothly transferring the driveline load. If you look at my second hillclimb video, the faster one, I do a long spinup at the beginning to get some heat into the tires, I also launch the car spinning. Both instances there is not wheelhop, you do not see the camera shake. It takes practice, Ive probably launched my car over 200-300 times now, but its about getting off the clutch smoothly and feeding the throttle just as smoothly. Drop the clutch = guaranteed hop.

Last edited by eunos; 05-30-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:28 AM   #12 (permalink)

Hi Friend,

Your all videos are really so cool..Its really so awesome videos .
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2011, 02:31 AM   #13 (permalink)

Do you have any more pictures of the interior (particularly of how the rollbar is situated)?
SIgen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 04:10 AM   #14 (permalink)

Ivan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIgen View Post
Do you have any more pictures of the interior (particularly of how the rollbar is situated)?
Nothing special, anything you need to know? It essentially makes the back almost completely useless.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:11 AM   #15 (permalink)

Ivan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
Hi Friend,

Your all videos are really so cool..Its really so awesome videos .
Thanks buddy, Ill have some more this summer
Old 06-10-2011, 07:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eunos View Post
Nothing special, anything you need to know? It essentially makes the back almost completely useless.

Nothing in particular, but if I do end up buying an 8th Si, I might be interested in putting something like that in it. Granted, it wouldn't be for a while, but it's nice to know that there are bolt in options available.
SIgen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.