First AutoX on Sunday.. Advice? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Autocross & Sanctioned Drag Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2011, 01:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Ben
First AutoX on Sunday.. Advice?

Will be going to my first event on sunday in canyon texas. I know im not gonna be fast or beat any records, but i want to have a good time acctually putting the car in a situation it was meant for. So my question for you vets of the scene is what should i know for a good time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 07:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mike
Arrive early so you have time to walk the course multiple times. I was walking with the novice walk group (I've been autocrossing for 14 years) and actually learn a thing or two from this guy (we both started the same year).
You should be able to stop 1/3 throughout the course and be able to recite the course from memory. If you cannot you should walk again. We stopped and closed our eyes about 5 times throughout the course doing that.
The 2nd time you walk through, stop at the start line and you should be able to at the start line guide your car through the course.
Make sure you ask for a novice instructor to ride with you when you register. Yes it's humbling, yes as a guy it's hard to say "Hi I'm a novice, never done this before I need help".
But I will tell you that you will learn leaps faster doing this then someone else who doesn't ask for help and has a chip on his shoulder.
Make sure you bring:
  • portable air compressor
  • good air gauge, like one with a dial not the friction/pen type ones
  • OR fill up your tires right outside the event to about 40-45psi on the front and 38-40psi in the rear
  • have at least 1/4 tank or 3/4 tank of gas, not 1/2. 1/2 tank will slosh back and forth causing your car's balance to be upset mid-corner
  • wear sunblock
  • bring a hat
  • bring a chair
  • bring extra socks, clothes, and sneakers if it's a chance of rain. You will thank me on the drive home
  • the last thing that might make it more fun is being buckled in. I always teach my students to push your seat all the way back, pull the shoulder belt so it's snug on your waist, tug on the shoulder belt until it locks, then while holding the belt locked - move your seat up until you are pressed against your shoulder belt - IE cheap harness. This way you don't have to worry about holding on your steering wheel WHILE driving.
  • you could also buy a luggage strap and wrap it around you and your seat to hold you in your seat better
CivicSiRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ben
thanks for the reply, its really just about expirence. like i said i know i wont be fast, more for fun
Winkler2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

There is a thread in this forum on from just this week with a lot of good info. OP is SiSoldier.
littlewing1208 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ben
yeah I though id seen it i just couldnt find it when i posted this
Winkler2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.