8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

2006 Civic Front Speaker Installation

255K views 217 replies 149 participants last post by  hamhead 
#1 ·
front speaker installation guide can be found here

Front Speakers

#29 ·
so you cant just remove stock 6 1/2 sprk and put the new 6 1/2 spkr???? im planning to get the polk db6500 or the MMC 6500

(both are componets) or the kicker SS series componets ... any thoughts??? the kicker SS has a seprate tweeter (1'' ) so i can slap that in where the stock tweeter is .... again any input would be great

#31 ·
I would really like to see some pics on a replacement tweeter install.

But anyways... I have a set of Alpine SPX-1772 2-way component speaker I will eventually be putting in my car.

In my Integra I initially had a shop install all of my aduio equipment which I ended up regretting because instead of using/making new speaker rings for the front door speakers they cut the backside off of the OEM speaker brackets and used them the same way a lot for you guys are. It works and in most cases gets the job done. But in my Integras case one of the speakers broke loose over time and ruined a top of line set of speakers. But that was mostly because of the shop who installed them, it could have been done much better.

the other major reason why it didn't work was because the bolt pattern for my alpine mids was larger in diameter than the bolt pattern for the OEM acura mids and there was barely enough material to bolt the speakers to the spacers

The OEM Si speaker mounts seem to have much more material to them than my Integra mounts did, but either way I still think the right way to do it would be to use MDF speaker rings or make your own.

Here are what mine looked like in my GSR and will look like in my Si.

#32 ·
Pretty good info, I would also recommend if your going to run new wires to the door, running it thru the grommets provided, inside the tubing. Use a coat hanger, the same way he did for the tweeters, you may also want to dislodge the grommets first, and maybe even add some kinda lube, like a small dab of dish soap.

Now if I can just get my wife to let me upgrade her speakers. =}

Looks like the door's speaker hole cut out is larger than my RSX's, I had to cut my door to fit my 6.5's, even with a 3/4 mdf spacer.

BTW

If you want to get some custom made MDF rings at a low price.
http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/ringbuilder.php

They have some good deals on most everything else. I just got these
edi6500's put in my RSX. EARSEX. =]

#34 ·
hey guys well i have a quick one i have kickers ks 6 1/ 2 and im planing to put these on my 06 civic ex 2dr will they fit on my doors or do i need the brackets that crutchfield sells? as for the rears i want to put these too but i tried putting them and the long metal stick was in its way so will these brackets work?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zj1dOD6TSaA/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=103200&I=142SAC656

these are the specs i was able to find from crutchfield

Details:

» 2-way 6-3/4" speaker
» suitable for marine use
» Curvilinear Injection Molded Polygraphite (CIMP) woofer with Santoprene surround
» 1/2" Kaladex semi-dome tweeter
» power handling: 5-65 watts RMS (130 watts peak power)
» frequency response: 40-20,000 Hz
» sensitivity: 90 dB
» top-mount depth: 2-1/8"

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5lsClNslbU9/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?I=20605KS65

#35 ·
JchanFTW said:
I have some Rainbow Germaniums that have a similar mounting depth of 2.5", and I was wondering if there was any clearance issues with the 1" spacers and the door panel.
I just picked up the Rainbow SLCs and should be buying my civic today. I will be following this thread closely as it looks like some modding will be called for.

#37 ·
Speaking about tweeter placement, has anyone thought to use the kickpanel for imaging sake. Rather then going with the off-axis response of having the tweeter in the dash. See picture below or check it out for yourself in your car. I plan on placing some neo8's in mine with a custome grill.:thumb:

#38 ·
Oh, and about the walk through. Would it not be easier to use the existing factory wire for the mids and tweets? Unless the walkthru was for those without tweets I don't see the point in doing all that work to run wires to the tweets and the mids when the factory wire should be decent?

Where is everyone putting their xovers? Inside the door behind the speaker like that one pic?

#41 ·
I would never run speakers that are use crossovers from the stock head unit, amps are cheap enough now a days ~$250 for a good 4 channel + $40 for installation kit, that you should never run off the stock unit (maybe if your an SI w/ factory amplification, but still not the best choice). You will never get the full performance that the speakers are capable of. If you are going to keep the stock unit, got Coaxials. You get better performance then stock and your budget won't be hurting.

#42 ·
Well, the speakers will be using my amps' crossovers, it would definitely be a waste to run comps off the EX's HU with no amp. I just don't want to spend $1500+ on dash kit and 2 din radio so a David Navone LOC with have send a good enough signal to my amps for now. Maybe if budget increases down the line I'd get a 3sixty or similar or 2 din makeover.

Just trying to figure out where to get the LOC installed to run my RCAs.

#43 ·
Run the LOC (Line out Converter) off your Rear Speakers. If your going to run your speakers in active setup then your best bet is get a cheap EQ for better frequency control, most amps only have high/lo/bandpass senting, which only gives you so much. Even a 12 band will make a world of difference. If your looking for a good double din setup, look no further than the D3, Navi, Divx, DVD. The unit does it all, and you can pick it up for $750 w/ wires, then add $40 for the OEM dash kit. I have one and LOVE IT, and it looks OEM. Hope this helps PM me if you have any questions.
Josh

#50 ·
Kid Red, have you learned anything new regarding the grommet? How to remove the panel without loosing the grommet, or if you loose it what happens after you put everything back? Can you just push the panel away from the speaker without disconnecting it from the door latch? Will you have enough room to work on the speaker? Thanks.

#52 ·
I wondered because I have the speakers now and can easily install them. (And I did, and they make a small improvment! esp in the low end.)

I'm waiting on parts to contuine installing my left over gear. I installing my Premier 880PRS head unit and a Rockford Power 200Wx2 amp, as well as my Rockford t5002 amp for my Sub. Just waiting on cables and the dash kit to finish the job.

And....the Pro60's run at 3ohms, so, if 12w RMS is stock at 4 ohms, I'm probably getting closer to 20w RMS at 3 ohms.

#51 ·
Regarding the SI stereo, non nav:

Anyone know what size the factory tweeter mount accommodates? Or the impedance? I'm thinking of just replacing the tweeters. Probably not the best way of doing things, but I don't want to get into an all-out system build. Think I'll leave the Oz Audios in the closet this time...

Pictures might be helpful.

If I find time, I might try running so test tones and see if I can pin down the crossover points of the stock amplifier set up. Might also be cool to determine the actual power going to each channel.

Judging by the fusing (15amp), I'd say it's a 60-watt amp, so my guess is 10 watts to each channel and the remaining 20 goes to the sub.

#53 ·
Hi Everybody!!!

Sorry for hijacking someone else's threat, but I can't seem to create my own ...

Just got an 08 Civic Sedan LX 5-Spd AT, standard everything, no options.

Hopping to improve overall sound quality by swapping speakers. And since I've never worked with car internals before, would like to start from the back drivers. Please let me know if you have specs of the original/standard/stack audio system (power of the head unit/ speakers, impedance, etc.)

I am currently looking at Pioneer TS-A1672R and Sony XS-GT1625A as possible substitutes. Are there better alternatives.

If everything goes okay, I will probably replace the front drivers as well.

TIA!!!

P.S. If you work for Honda, please make cars with a little thicker metal (at least on the roof), no blind spots, no lead in carpet and bromine in plastic and upholstery, and a better sound system. All this won't cost you a penny, and produce a much better car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.