8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Windshield Wiper Issue

48K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  In_Like_Flynn 
#1 ·
Today I was driving to work and noticed something funky with my windshield wipers. I have an Lx so I have the high medium and low settings plus the mist setting when you push up on the lever. When I moved the lever from Off to the low setting, it seemed unusually fast. So I moved to the medium setting and their was no change of speed. Then the fast setting was its normal speed. So now I have mist, off, medium, medium, and fast settings.

Then it got weird...

I moved from the real medium setting to what should be the low setting, and once again, the speed was still medium. I moved from the low setting to OFF and the speed was still MEDIUM! I then got a little concerned. I moved from off to mist, and back to off. Occasionally it would turn off, occasionally it wouldnt. I figured it was an electrical issue.

Then it got weirder....

I was driving with them in the low position, but they were moving at the medium speed. My hope was that magically they would somehow move as quickly as they should on low speed. Then they started to move slower for a few seconds, then move quickly for a few seconds. I hadn't touched the lever. It was just changing from medium to low, back to medium on its own, all while being in the low position.

Has anyone had this issue? Or does anyone know what could be going on?
I don't have access to the car now, I am at work.

See less See more
#34 ·
Yes, the electronic control is in this plastic cover. I just finished my install and everything went well. Like someone already said, if i had to do it again, i could do it in about an hour, but it took me twice that just trying to be careful and take pictures of everything.

#35 ·
Right on... after looking closer at the pictures of the part, I see what you're mentioning.

Good stuff - $10. Guess no one can really complain about that.

#36 ·
My feelings exactly, $10 isn't any big deal. However it's the EXACT amount of labor as a full replacement, so you're still in for an hour or more of work. The part # for the case lid for the Civic is P/N 76505-SNA-305. The cover does have circuit tracings and some components in it.

#39 ·
I just changed out my wiper motor on my 2007 LX. Same problems as others. wipers ran constantly on intermittent and didn't park correctly. I found that you do not need to disassemble the linkage. The arm thats attached to the motor shaft can be lined up easily using the marks that are cast for that purpose on the motor mount plate. Just make sure you have the arm in the correct position. It will actually be covering the motor shaft and you have to use a 17 mm open end wrench to tighten the nut. If you line it up 180 degees opposite you will have trouble. It helps to mount the whole assembly and lightly bolt it to test the operation. It's alot easier to quickly pull it out and adjust the linkage. (as I did 3 times till I found the marks and figured it out.) Not a bad job if you know all this stuff ahead of time.

#42 ·
i've had this problem for all 3 years i've had my 07 civic ex sedan. it only does it in cold weather so i tend to forget about it from may-october, but now that it's cold it's driving me crazy again. i bought the cover plate last year but never tried to fix it but i'm going to take a swing at it soon. i'll try to take pics for a DIY

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.