8thcivic How To - Questions Answered - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Site Stuff > 8thcivic.com Site Help

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2007, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Acorns!

8thcivic How To - Questions Answered

How to clear cookies - login issues = Click Here
How to start a new thread/ reply to a thread = Click Here
Adding images to your posts = Click Here
I can't see the top banner now - what happened? 8thcivic.com uses javascript - how to turn it on :click here
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2007, 06:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Acorns!

How To Clear Cookies In Internet Explorer And Firefox - Login Issues

Members having issues logging in on 8thcivic,

I don't know how to clear my cookies?
Internet Explorer Users - read below.

Firefox Users - scroll down a little while.

For other browsers, it's usually very similar to these instructions below. PM me if you are having any problems getting on to 8thcivic.

Internet Explorer Instructions
In internet explorer, go to www.google.com
1.at the top go to "tools"

at the dropdown - go to "internet options"

the below window will pop open. On the general tab click - delete cookies When you get the prompt -"do you want to delete - click ok"

After you've done this - click ok at the bottom of this popup window. Then close out of Internet Explorer, and reopen it again. This time navigate back to:

www.8thcivic.com, and at the top log back in with your user name/ password and click the box "remember me" - then click "log in"

This should resolve any issue you may have with logging in or getting kicked off of 8thcivic.

================================================== =
================================================== =
Firefox Users

For Firefox users, the process is very similar.
point your browser to www.google.com
at the top - "tools"

options - you'll get the below popup window. Click "privacy" at the top.

Click the Clear now button on that page.

It will open a new window yet again giving you options on what you'd like to clear. All you need to clear is cookies. Put a check mark next to it and click the clear private data now button.

After you click that - it'll take you back to the previous image. Just click "ok" at the bottom.

Close out of firefox, and restart it. Then go to www.8thcivic.com
at the top right you should see the login/pw "remember me" box as displayed above for Internet Explorer. Insert your user name, password, click the remember me box, and click log in.
webby is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2007, 12:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Acorns!

How To Start A Topic / Reply To A Thread

For some members not familiar with online forums, it may seem confusing on where to even start. I get emails all the time asking how to post a new topic, so I've created this post to show you how.

Get to the message boards by going to - www.8thcivic.com/forums

If you haven't yet become a registered member, you'll need to sign up with an acct to post on 8thcivic. To sign up - click here.

An explanation of what VIP is, and the various accts can be explained here.

All you need is a free acct to post in the majority of the site. Once you register an acct, you'll need to click the activation link sent to you through email. Once you've clicked the activation link in the email, you can post topics and reply to topics on 8thcivic.

Navigate to the message boards - www.8thcivic.com/forums/

and take a few minutes to read through the various forum categories. This will help you to understand where your specific topic needs to be posted.

The best thing to do is to actually do a search on the site to see if someone else has already asked the same question you may have.

Click search and in the first box you can place your search on 8thcivic. A list of threads that relate to the keywords you search on will be displayed. Take a few minutes to read through some of these threads to see if your question can be answered. If you can find a thread that you can post additional questions on the topic - add on to the pertaining thread by posting a reply.

If you need to start a new thread, follow the instructions below.

Enter the forum category that you think makes the most sense. For this example we're making a post in the detailing forum. This is what you should see entering:

Click New Thread and it will open a new window where you can create a subject line, and the body of the message just as you would type an email. The more specific you are with your subject lines, the better the site will continue to grow with information. Vague subject lines like - "what is wrong with my car" doesn't help someone searching the site. Rather, "Help me repair these paint scratches on my car" is much more specific and beneficial.

That way if someone searches about "paint scratches" - your thread will then show up on their search, and may be beneficial to their problem.

The other benefit to posting relevant subject lines, is that it helps reduce the number of repeating questions - if the users USE the search button first. Having 300 topics on "what intake should I buy" gets rather monotonous, and obviously gets irritating toward some members answering the same questions repeatedly.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Acorns!

Adding Images To Your Posts

The following is the main method of inserting a picture inline in your post.

If you'd like to use an online server other than 8thcivic to host your images, you can use one of many free services like tinypic.com, imageshack.us, photobucket.com, and many more. Just upload your files and gather the URL code to the image you've uploaded. You'll have to insert the code that looks like [ img] www. tinypic.com/mypic.gif [/img]. Just without any spaces in the line of code. The "[img]" starting and "[/img]" closing tags will make your picture load into the site.

--------------------------------------

The following method does not display a full picture inline in your post but allows people to selectively download the full size image seperately. To add images to your post as attachments, scroll down below the submit new thread button is, and you'll see additional options. There you will see:

Click manage attachments and it will open a new window for you. It will have the option for you to browse for 3 files on your pc to upload, or the URL to the file online that you'd like to upload. All of the sizing requirements are listed on that window as well. After it completes the upload you can close the pop up box. Finally clicking submit thread will make your post active, and your images will appear.

Alternatively, there is another method described in the link below:

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/8thci...ml#post3679308
Old 04-24-2007, 11:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Acorns!

8thcivic.com uses Javascript Code / Can't See Top Banner

8thcivic.com uses Javascript Code

In Internet Explorer, how do I turn Java or JavaScript off or on?

To enable or disable Java or JavaScript in Internet Explorer 4, 5, 6, or 7, follow the appropriate instructions below:
Windows
Internet Explorer 7

To enable or disable Java, follow these steps:

1. From the Tools menu, select Internet Options... .

2. Click the Programs tab.

3. Click Manage Add-ons.

4. Highlight Java Plug-in.

5. Under "Settings", click Disable.

6. Click OK, and then OK again.

To enable or disable JavaScript, follow these steps:

1. From the Tools menu, choose Internet Options... .

2. Click the Security tab.

3. Click Custom Level... .

4. Scroll to the "Scripting" section of the list. Click Disable or Enable.

5. Close and restart your browser.

Internet Explorer 6 and earlier

1. From the Tools menu, choose Internet Options... .

2. Click the Security tab.

3. In versions 5.x and 6, click Custom Level... . In version 4.x, click Custom and then Settings:

* Java: Scroll to the "Java" section. (In version 6, you will find this section under "Java VM", under "Java permissions".) To disable Java, click Disable Java. To re-enable Java, click a different setting, such as High Safety or Medium Safety.

* JavaScript: Scroll to the "Active scripting" section of the list. (In version 6, this is under "Scripting".) Click Disable or Enable.

4. Close and restart your browser.

Mac OS and Mac OS X

Note: Microsoft is no longer developing or distributing Internet Explorer for the Macintosh. UITS strongly recommends that you use a different browser, such as Safari or Firefox.

1. From the Explorer menu (Mac OS X) or the Edit menu, select Preferences... .

2. To expand the list, next to Web Browser, click the triangle.

3. Select Web Content. On the right, beneath "Active Content", select the checkbox for Enable scripting.

4. Return to beneath Web Browser and select Java. On the right, under "Java Options", select the checkbox for Enable Java or Enable Java (Apple MRJ).

5. Click OK. Close your browser and restart it.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Dent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bueno4x4 View Post
Wrote this write-up for another site I'm on, dunno if its needed here or if this is even the right section, but just in case anyone doesn't know how...

Using Photobucket ( Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket)

1. Go to homepage and it should look like this. If you do not have an account with photobucket, make one following this link:

2. After making your account, sign in here:

3. It changed a little now, but click the "click here to begin"

4. Find the pic you want to host, click the picture, and click open

5. Wait....your screen will look like this: You can add tags etc, then hit "Save"

6. There is your picture! Hover your mouse over the image First, and a box will appear below:
(the IMG code) on the bottom row is what you need to "copy"

Paste that code into the forum posts and your images will show up

Bueno

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerSi View Post
stroke this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
I haz no bawlz
dentrecords is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.