8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

"Service B1" ... $200?

93K views 42 replies 31 participants last post by  Mr. Juicebox 
#1 ·
I'm due for my second oil change... and I mean DUE! It's at 0 and now counting the kms that it's overdue by. As it happens, I am also ready to swap out my snows.

To get an oil and filter change, along with tire swap, at my local mechanic, it will cost me around $70.

To get the Honda Dealer to perform 'service B1' (which is what Maintenance Minder says I need) will cost me $200. This includes:

- Replace Engine Oil and Filter
- Inspect Front and Rear brakes
- Check parking brake adjustment
- Inspect these items:
-- Tie rod ends, steering gear box, and boots
-- Suspension components
-- Driveshaft boots
-- Brake hoses and lines (including ABS)
-- All fluid levels and condition of fluids
-- Exhaust System
-- Fuel lines and connections

Is that all really necessary? My car has 12500km on it (that's about 7500 miles). When I take it to my mechanic, he gives it a once over anyway... I think! Need opinions. I really don't like wasting money on frivolous service.

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
I would not pay the dealer for that. I have an 09 Si and I just got my first B1 maintenance reminder like two days ago. I only have 15,000km's on the car. I am just going to take it to Honda to change the oil for me (I'm supplying synthetic oil and OEM filter). Just going to pay them for the labour ($14).

None of the items in the list above would be going bad. If it did, the car is still under warranty anyway.

#4 ·
that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. basically you're paying 200 for an oil change and then they tell you they look at all that stuff when in reality they don't bother checking it because they know that none of that stuff goes bad in under 10K. if there was anything wrong with any of that, you'd probably be able to feel/hear it by now.

#6 ·
I'm at over 50K right now and didn't bring my car in for B1 services.

Just go to your mechanic. With the B1 service, the only thing you'd really be getting are the brakes inspected the grease on the slider pins and between the caliper and the pads. I'm at 50K and need to do mine soon, but the car is still sort of new and the brakes works fine. I can't justify paying the dealer $200 for the service.

Does that $70.00 include the oil and filter? What oil are your using? I'd just go to your mechanic and while the car is up the air, get the transmission fluid changed while your at it. Or just DIY it all.

#10 · (Edited)
Sounds like a $200 oil change to me. The only thing you need to watch out for is whether you ABSOLUTELY need to do this sort of dealership mandated 'maintenance' so that future warranty claims (if any) will be honored with the minimum amount of fuss. I don't know the answer to that.

edit:
By absolutely, I mean with an official worklist/receipt from either a Honda dealership or a certified independent mechanic detailing all the stuff that was done.

#13 ·
I think it's so high because people like my Mom with her V6 Accord will always just follow whatever the manual says without thinking. Manual says it's time for B1? My Mom is there! I think there are a lot of middle-aged people just like her - have more money than time, and don't want to think about it, just want it done.

After reading the replies, I'm going to take it to my local mechanic. He's earned my trust over many years. I guess I might as well trust him with my Si, too. At the end of the day, it's just a car ... :(

I wish I could do it all myself. Sadly, I have never done anything more complicated than changing a headlight bulb, and I have no idea what I'm doing under the hood. I think one day I'm going to take the time to learn. I do love cars, and it would save me a lot of money in the long run!

#14 ·
im still not following though why the same inspection with basically the same car would go up to $200. i mean im sure they use the same oil, and even if they did use full synthetic it shouldn't be that much more. If it were an Acura, I could understand paying more for luxury, but really? When I get back to the states, I'm going to ask the same question to the Honda dealership and if they try to sell me that garbage, I'll just start doing everything myself.

#15 ·
It's not a $200 oil change, they change your oil, rotate tires, general inspection of the underbody , but the bulk of that price is servicing the front and rear brakes. Clean,adjust, check pad life.

BUT... Your right you could get it done at another shop for cheaper (i still like taking it to honda for record purposes/reputable for honoring mistakes,everyone makes em, and when selling it sounds better saying all services done @ Honda Dealer)

BUT, AGAIN... I don't think the B service should come up until the 3rd service. But i believe the Honda maintnence minder jumps back and forth between A's & B's.

I personally do about 3 oil changes (a's) before i do a B. As long as you make sure you rotate your tires throughout that period so they don't wear unevenly.

#16 ·
yeah i know what a B1 service is, like i said, they did all of that when i had my LX for only $70 everytime. which is why I brought it to the dealership. Which is why it has me confused of why it's $200 for the Si, the only difference is that my LX has rear drum brakes (besides the engine of course) and those require more work than discs.

#21 ·
In short, I suggest doing a B1 once a year, but no more often than that. Do it together with your brake pad change.

B1 service should include brake service, which is 60% of the cost ($120), and is supposed to increase the efficiency of your brakes. Oil change is $40 and inspection is another $40. In reality, it does, as my brakes feel more effective over the next several thousand miles. They take apart the brake assemblies, clean and lube them. I have a "B1 service" done usually without the oil change, usually every 12 000 miles (19 300 km) or once a year. I find it ridiculous that the maintenance minder has people do it every 8000 miles (14 000 km) or every second oil change. Ask if your dealership will give you a discount on a brake pad change if you schedule a B1 at the same time.

#23 ·
Midas will check all that for free. LOL.

#32 ·
If you drive your car hard then you really need to check all that stuff. But i'd say just oil change and filter and check all fluids and just take a look at the rear and front brakes. If the car is running fine and brakes are fine, then no need to freak out. these are easy checks.

#33 ·
I have always been told that you absolutely do not HAVE to have the Honda dealer do your service work. They want you to THINK you must! All you have to do is keep reciepts for all parts (oil, filters, etc) and a written or computer print-out of the work you have done to comply with service intervals. It's fairly easy to make a form on your computer to check off all the service items that are required. In your owners packet, there should be a 'book' with a list of everything required at the different service intervals. I've always done all the service work on my own vehicles and have never had a problem with warranty work. Only one time was I asked for a copy of my maintenence records. That was for a bad differential on a Chev. Suburban. I copied all my records for that vehicle and the differential was repaired at no cost to me.

#34 ·
Yeah I write everything down in that maint booklet they gave me with my Si and I just keep my maints simple like oil and oil filter changes and engine air filters and cabin air filters and rotaing tires and keeping an eye on all fluids and no leaks and all other crap like that. I don't drive my Si hard cause it's my DD and I just keep it simple. As long as you change the oil and brake pads you're fine. These cars don't need any MAJOR work done to them untill 90K to 100K miles. Or if your car sounds and is running like it's "tired" then you need to do a major check up on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.