8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Clunk noise when reversing...

31K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  trancedjgabriel 
#1 ·
As the title states, whenever I put my car in reverse, there's a clunk noise. It's just one sound and only happens in reverse. My brother thinks it might by the CV, but doesn't know what a CV that needs to be replaced looks like.

So if anyone has had the same problem and knows what it is-can you help me out? Can anyone explain to me the difference in appearance of an ok CV vs one that needs to be replaced?

Car is 2008 civic lx 4 door auto. thanks in advance.

#5 ·
Get a new car.

Lol, JK. You can't really tell if a CV axle is bad just by looking at it unless you remove it from the car and take it apart, which I doubt you want to do.

Usually bad CV joints will make an odd noise when you turn a corner, like a clicking or moaning.

#12 ·
I had a 2007 EX sedan... AT

Mine would "clunk" every time I put it into reverse as well.. but here's the million dollar question: Are you parked on a slight incline when you shift into reverse? My driveway had a slight incline to it and the AT would make a clunking noise every time I shifted into reverse (or even drive if facing forward).

From my understanding, this is completely normal and happens with ALL AT's. The only way around it that I found was by setting the parking brake BEFORE you release the foot brake and AFTER you've shifted into park. The trick is to keep tension off the transmission while parked.

Try it.

Hope this helps!

(BTW - another way to test it would be shifting while parked on a flat surface - like thos found at wally world)

#16 ·
If this thread is still active, its the CV. My car has a damaged CV joints and makes a loud click about 1 second after its in reverse.
I had a 2007 EX sedan... AT

Mine would "clunk" every time I put it into reverse as well.. but here's the million dollar question: Are you parked on a slight incline when you shift into reverse? My driveway had a slight incline to it and the AT would make a clunking noise every time I shifted into reverse (or even drive if facing forward).

From my understanding, this is completely normal and happens with ALL AT's. The only way around it that I found was by setting the parking brake BEFORE you release the foot brake and AFTER you've shifted into park. The trick is to keep tension off the transmission while parked.

Try it.

Hope this helps!

(BTW - another way to test it would be shifting while parked on a flat surface - like thos found at wally world)

I did notice the noise on the incline compared to just the flat surface. It's still disturbing though. Any long term damage?

Thanks
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.