8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Car won't start

18K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  nayilsi 
#1 ·
I went to go get a haircut today, and I came out and my car wouldn't start. When I turned the key, the power steering light was on, but none of the dashboard lights, but the dashboard lights would flash on and off like crazy every once in a while. I checked the battery and the indicator on it is green. I called my roommate and he came and jumped me. I had lots of trouble at first, it would start and run for about 2 seconds, then start like chugging and shut off. When I got home the horn honk for lock confirmation was very weak, it sounded like the battery was dead. It is a 06 Si with 18K miles. Do you think it is the battery? How long have you guys been getting off your stock battery? My car is 2 weeks shy of 2 years old.

#2 ·
I went to go get a haircut today, and I came out and my car wouldn't start. When I turned the key, the power steering light was on, but none of the dashboard lights, but the dashboard lights would flash on and off like crazy every once in a while. I checked the battery and the indicator on it is green. I called my roommate and he came and jumped me. I had lots of trouble at first, it would start and run for about 2 seconds, then start like chugging and shut off. When I got home the horn honk for lock confirmation was very weak, it sounded like the battery was dead. It is a 06 Si with 18K miles. Do you think it is the battery? How long have you guys been getting off your stock battery? My car is 2 weeks shy of 2 years old.
This sounds more like an alternator failure... once you jump your car it should run normally.

#26 ·
seems like the OP got his problem solved, so this isn't a hi-jack. i think i have somewhat of a different problem.....

about a month ago, sometimes when i would start my 06 si (purchaed in sept of 06 - has 16k miles), i would getting this buzzing noise from under the dash. a search revealed that someone on these forums had the same problem, took it to the dealer, and it was some sort of starting relay.

but lately, like the past week, i'll turn the ignition (all lights light up fine on the dash), and it'll hesitate bigtime before turning over. i'm not talking about cranking, i'm talking about not making any noise at all. after about 3 or 4 seconds, which is a long time, it'll start.

last night, this happened 3 times while i was not at my house, thought i was gonna need a tow. turn key into forward position - nothing. not even after holding it there for like 10 seconds. on the 4th try - started up with no problems.

that being said, i've used my spare key - same results. battery has a green eye, horn does not sound weak, my car is stock - no aftermarket stereo.

wondered if anyone here can shed some knowledge - really dont wanna bring it to the dealer, and this doesn't happen all the time either.

also if anyone knows the part number to that relay (starting relay??) i would replace that first. thanks.

#28 ·
same thing happen to me today, went out to move car so i could mow the grass, car wouldent turn over - turned key, dash lights came on, heard a buzzzzzzzz.... did it 1 more time buzzzzz.... waited a few seconds, then it started right up...... 07 fa5 with 40k miles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.