8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Autocrossers: Check in here!

352K views 5K replies 408 participants last post by  kevgraydog 
#1 · (Edited)
Frankly, I'm tired of seeing people consider traffic light antics, and other forms of street racing, "real racing". Technically, we autocrossers are careful not to consider our sport "racing" as we do not compete wheel-to-wheel, but the skills we learn in parking lots across the country make us better than 99.95% of the drivers on the road.

I started this thread to call all the autocrossers forward and let us know who you are, what model Civic (or any other car for that matter) you are competing with and which SCCA (or other club) class you plan on building the car for...

DRIVER:
Anthony "Mario" Crea... I am a 15 year autocross veteran with almost 250 autocrosses under my belt at all levels of competition (regional, divisional, and national).

CAR:
Soon to be a 2010 Mazda 3s (5 door)

CLUB/CLASS:
SCCA H-Stock (local and national level competition)

CURRENT MODS:

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

See less See more
#77 ·
Hey guys, i'm autocrossing next week for the first time in my 06 civic ex coupe mt and was wondering what kind of mods are good and cheap to help my times..

I was wondering short shifter, si rear sway bar, etc. etc.

Plus what are good tips for first time autoXers? What's a common mistake people do on their first rounds?

#78 ·
First thing many novices do wrong is modify their car. First drive the car how it is and get used to it at it max as is, then modify what you want the car to do.

Jay is this a Sunday? If it is I can not go if its a SAT I am in and sure you can co-drive...for a fee :) PM me. Greg

#81 ·
The Shishpanik said:
Thanks. Good advice. So you have to just progress at it right? And i was wondering (i know you all HATE when people do this) but me and my friend are betting on whos car will autocross faster, either my 06 ex coupe or his 03 jetta 1.8t with an intake, We are both about the same skill level.
If you're going to the Philly region event at Ripken on the 22nd, I'll be there to own you and your friend. :thumb:

I'll either be in HS with my 2006 LX Coupe or in my friends ES Miata.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

#83 ·
The Shishpanik said:
Thanks. Good advice. So you have to just progress at it right? And i was wondering (i know you all HATE when people do this) but me and my friend are betting on whos car will autocross faster, either my 06 ex coupe or his 03 jetta 1.8t with an intake, We are both about the same skill level.
It all comes down to who is a better driver. As Anthony stated, you will both do equally shitty at first, no pun intended, try to focus on your own driving, and not how your friend is doing. The first pointer, which you should learn when it comes to autocross, is that more power, or power mods will not translate into faster times. Autocross is about finesse, it is about been smooth and precise at all time, it is about how you balance your gas, brake and steering to get the car through the course as fast, and as efficient as possible.

Do not mod your car just yet, you will end up having to put it back in stock form to correct your mistakes. I can't stressed this enough, your mod should be you. Try and improve yourself, and you will notice that you're going faster than other drivers that in much more expensive and more capable sports cars.

Greg, Anthony, and myself do it all of the time :)

One more thing, be open to suggestions and bother the **** out of the faster guys, they will give you pointers that will help you in every autocross that you're going to attend.

#84 ·
Highrev1 said:
First thing many novices do wrong is modify their car. First drive the car how it is and get used to it at it max as is, then modify what you want the car to do.

Jay is this a Sunday? If it is I can not go if its a SAT I am in and sure you can co-drive...for a fee :) PM me. Greg

I'm down. Bring your car with the race tires. It is time for jersey to win this year. I'm also looking to kick ass in PAX as well and edging Anthony out;)

#85 ·
venomous said:
I'm down. Bring your car with the race tires. It is time for jersey to win this year. I'm also looking to kick ass in PAX as well and edging Anthony out;)
THERE IS NO TRI-STATE CHAMPIONSHIP THIS COMING SATURDAY (10/21)!!!

It is most likely dead after 25+ years because Team CT did NOT agree to the new rules package that would have based results on PAX instead of creative classing (like the 1996 Accord wagon in A Mod just for the 10 easy points). Rich Wayne and a number of NY guys developed the new rules. We (Team NJ) agreed almost instantaneously, but when I offered Team CT an ultimatum, they let the time elapse and we still haven't heard from them.

So, Saturday 10/21 will be a regular autocross. Just come out and enjoy.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

#89 ·
'Stock Tire 2' - Total Entries: 19 Trophies: 4 Car Model Times Total Diff.
1T GS 887 Stephen Yeoh BLEW GTI 70.900 70.146 69.263 53.894 -
2T DS 45 Scott McHugh GRA 330i 71.566 69.913 69.809 54.593 0.699
3T HS 427 Dan Shaw GRA Civic Si 74.272 72.218 72.253 55.203 0.610
4T HS 328 Mihail Milkov No$ Corolla XR 76.460 74.338 72.418 55.356 0.153
5 DS 965 Tom Denham BLEW WRX 76.518 71.625 71.015 55.536 0.180
6 GS 476 Rocky Zamarocy No$ GTI 73.431+1 71.644 71.733 55.747 0.211
7 HS 951 Ken Lord SCNAX Civic Si 73.712 72.948 73.383+1 55.761 0.014
8 GS 80 Craig Naylor SCNAX Integra 73.848 71.700 72.301 55.791 0.030
9 HS 700 Gautham Ramachandran SCNAX Civic Si 73.557 73.132 74.087 55.902 0.111
10 GS 810 Ernest Limbo No$ Celica GT 72.795 74.377+1 72.015 56.036 0.134
11 CS 409 Hideki Okano No$ Miata 73.075+1 70.956 71.287 56.533 0.497
12 HS 314 Ken Lee SCNAX Civic Si 74.602 85.522+1 75.395+1 57.025 0.492
13 HS 641 Bryan P****** 2006 Honda Civic Si 78.309+DNF 74.935 57.280 0.255
14 HS 512 Jordan Witherspoon BLEW GTI 77.564 75.351 73.467+1 57.598 0.318
15 ES 222 Jin Vieth No$ MR2 74.499 75.839+DNF 73.740 58.245 0.647
16 HS 643 Timothy Y** Honda Civic SI 79.184 77.445 59.199 0.954
17 HS 642 MarcHenry Hernandez 2005 Honda Civic 90.244+DNF 85.260 83.782 64.043 4.844
18 ES 633 Gary Mellor 1991 Mazda Miata 102.379+1 90.066+DNF 86.043 67.963 3.920
19 HS 177 Michael Wedgley TCC Spectra5 96.977+DNF 95.209+DNF 100.297+DNF DNF 67.963

This is how Tim and I did for October 15, 2006. Last year I ran:

2005 Civic Si NHBP
Hankook K106 225/40/18
5zigen MK-5 18/7.5/48off
Tein S-Tech
AEM V2
RSX-S rear sway
Apex-i World Sport cat-back

This year, I'm just starting up:

2006 Civic Si ASM
All season crud tires
Comptech SS adapter
EP3-R shift knob (shifts feel smoother with the lighter knob)

Ran SK2 because I had to wait for Tim, but I normally plan on running STS. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I force induce, that would require switching to SM correct?

#92 ·
MikeColangelo said:
Anybody here running 17x8 rims on their Si (in a non-stock class)?

I'd like to know what tire size you're using and if you had any rubbing issues.
Some people have run the Si in STX, but I don't think they frequent this board. However, I know they run the widest wheel the class allows (8.5" I believe) because the Si desperately needs it.

Otherwise there's always Street Mod or Street Prepared... Wheel sizes are unlimited there.

Rubbing won't be an issue if the springs are stiff enough to control the body roll and subsequently if the dampers are valved right to control those stiff springs. Thus a 245 or even a 275 could fit, but the wheels would stick out somewhat.

Ah... Thus begins the pains (or joys if you have lots of time and money) of competing in a class other than Stock. I faithfully played the "game" for 12 seasons with my other Civic... I am enjoying the sport more than ever now that I run the new Civic in Stock. I really only need to bolt on some R-comps and focus on driving. Enjoy!

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

#93 ·
I would love to autocross this upcoming season, but could someone help me out with exactly what I need to do in order to compete? I read some stuff about having to go to like 2 driving courses or something, but all the ones listed aren't near me, so what do I need to do? I am in the Exton/West Chester PA area. Thanks.

Now my next question:

Can someone explain this to me? I found this on the SCCA site....

Each class has over 30 different cars eligible to compete within that class. SSB is made up of entries like the Acura RSX-S, BMW Z-4, Honda Civic, Mazda MX-5 and Pontiac Solstice. SSC is the slower, but no less exciting Showroom Stock class and includes cars such as the Chevy Cobalt , Honda Civic Si, and Mazda3.

Why is the Civic in the faster class than the Civic Si? I am just thinking of the 2006s in particular being that the SI is faster than the other model Civics. Is this a typo?

#94 ·
...But all the ones listed aren't near me, so what do I need to do? I am in the Exton/West Chester PA area. Thanks.

Look on www.autox4u.com and read up on the Novice Page... You are in the Philly Region they run autocrosses at Boeing and Warminster Community Park in addition to Ripken Stadium in northern MD. Philly is actually hosting 3 winter events at Ripken, the first of which is on Jan. 20. Try to attend.

Each class has over 30 different cars eligible to compete within that class. SSB is made up of entries like the Acura RSX-S, BMW Z-4, Honda Civic, Mazda MX-5 and Pontiac Solstice. SSC is the slower, but no less exciting Showroom Stock class and includes cars such as the Chevy Cobalt , Honda Civic Si, and Mazda3.

Why is the Civic in the faster class than the Civic Si? I am just thinking of the 2006s in particular being that the SI is faster than the other model Civics. Is this a typo?

You were reading ROAD RACING material! You have to compete in at least 2 - 3 regional races upon getting a racing license. Autocrossing doesn't require special licenses other than your regular drivers license. Just show up with about $40 (compared to about $1000 per weekend to road race) and at least 1/2 tank of gas. Most regions even have loaner helmets available.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

#95 ·
honda93 said:
...But all the ones listed aren't near me, so what do I need to do? I am in the Exton/West Chester PA area. Thanks.

Look on www.autox4u.com and read up on the Novice Page... You are in the Philly Region they run autocrosses at Boeing and Warminster Community Park in addition to Ripken Stadium in northern MD. Philly is actually hosting 3 winter events at Ripken, the first of which is on Jan. 20. Try to attend.

You were reading ROAD RACING material! You have to compete in at least 2 - 3 regional races upon getting a racing license. Autocrossing doesn't require special licenses other than your regular drivers license. Just show up with about $40 (compared to about $1000 per weekend to road race) and at least 1/2 tank of gas. Most regions even have loaner helmets available.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA
Thanks for the info man. I was totally lost on that site haha. I will check out that site that you posted.

#96 ·
06Fg2 said:
Each class has over 30 different cars eligible to compete within that class. SSB is made up of entries like the Acura RSX-S, BMW Z-4, 2006+ Honda Civic Si, Mazda MX-5 and Pontiac Solstice. SSC is the slower, but no less exciting Showroom Stock class and includes cars such as the Chevy Cobalt , 1999-2000 Honda Civic Si, and Mazda3.

No problem about the help.

But just for the record, I clarified the road racing class structure question that you had. Look above.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

#97 ·
I just wanted to see how many Hawaii guys are on here and tell them to get their butt out the the Hawaii SCCA events. I am the only one right now and would really like some more competition aside from the Mini S. If you want information on the local SCCA events PM, we have been having around 100 to 110 guys at the events and have room for up to 130. I would love to see more Si's or any Honda for the matter out there having fun.

#98 ·
Chad - NeOkla SCCA Region
I'll be running my new Si Sedan in GS this year.
Crash bolts and alignment coming soon.
Will be getting a set of wheels and Falken 615s for the first year, then R compounds for year 2.
Wife will be autocrossing as well.
I had a '99 Si that I ran for 3 years. Since then I've co-driven a variety of cars: S2k, Miata, MCS, STi.
Looking forward to a great year fo autx in my own car again.:vtec:

#99 ·
Curt Luther - CalClub
07 LX - HS

Right now I'm running the car completely stock except for 225/50-16 Azenis RT-615 on the stock 16x6.5 steelies (hubcaps FTW!). Future mods include:

Koni DA shocks (these are the shocks from highrev1's aborted GS effort)
Rota wheels
Hoosier A6s in sizes 245/45-16 front, 225/50-16 rear
Progress / Si / LX front bar testing
Magnaflow Cat-Back
K&N Drop In

At the local event yesterday I ran 9th in HS out of 10 with a 73.5 to the winning Mini's 68.5, but I'm also a hack driver. Ken Motonishi made a 72.5 lap in it that he claims was "moderate". He thought a 70.XXX was possible in the car. The wheels for the car are coming in late March, early April. This should be in time for a 2 day test session scheduled for the end of April at CA Speedway. I'm hoping to get Chris Shenefield out for that, if not I'll be working locally with Ken and Will Kalman.

If the test goes well, this summer should be fun and hopefully the car will pull down some lumber in Topeka. Probably not with me driving, but I'll put someone in the car who can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.