8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Why did I like the RSX-S test drive better?

5K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  09FGtwo 
#1 ·
Hi guys. So I drove a stock 06 RSX type S and a 07 Civic SI Sedan. The SI had Tokico blues and eibach springs with a bigger rear swaybar. They both felt good, nothing wrong with either car. What I don't understand is.....the RSX felt more sports car or go-kart. I can't actually see why. I always enjoy a firm ride (vs body roll and sloppy ride), good grip, positive steering feedback, solid brakes, etc. I didn't find the SI to be a harsh ride, so that's not the difference.

The RSX did have only 30k miles on it, so that could be a contributor. I really can't put my finger on it, but the RSX felt like a tight precision machine, and the SI felt like a big ass car with good power and braking. I didn't get to drive the RSX very hard, but the civic handling was definetely great for FWD! I probably would miss the LSD during those "real" driving moments.

If anyone can explain the differences I'm feeling (especially you Spenser, who's SI I drove) I would really appreciate it.

Cheers!

#3 ·
Probably cause the sedan is longer. Also the RSX is a purposely made sports cars vs the sedan si being a car that although handles well, was primarily designed for grocery getting and commuting. If the rsx had a lsd it would probably be the better car in most peoples books.

#4 ·
The RSXS does feel a lot smaller than the Si (the 4 door at least), even though there isn't a great amount of difference in size or weight. Also, the braking feel/feedback in the RSX is much better than that of the Si.

I will say I do like the interior of the Si more. It is a lot more roomy and better laid out.

The RSX looks leaps and bound better than the Si does though, imo. If I was debating between the RSX or fg2 I think I'd have to go with the RSX.

#8 · (Edited)
The sedan is 55lb more than the coupe...not enough to make a world of difference. That being said, I think the civic coupe is around 100 or so lb more than the rsx.

I had a rsx for 6 years and did a few minor suspension tweaks (springs, rear sway bar, adj. camber). Moving to the civic, I was really impressed with how the rear end rotates in stock form...the lsd made things even better!
I don't feel that I need to do as much to the suspension of this one as I did my last car. The rsx's hydraulic steering and cable based throttle did make for a more connected feeling though.

#10 ·
RSX weighs 200lbs less than a Si sedan. And RSX has hydraulic power steering, which translates to better steering feel and a more direct 1:1 connection to you turning the wheel and things "happening". Also the interior of the RSX is much much more driver-centric. The dash wraps around to put everything in focus for the driver.

That said, the RSX's suspension is dramatically inferior to ours. The engine is inferior to ours. The factory stereo is inferior to ours. Tuning options for it are more expensive. Aftermarket support for it is inferior to ours. No factory LSD. We get better pedals, a real shift knob, etc... lots of crazy details on the Si that mechanically make it a better platform in every way.

#17 · (Edited)
The RSX also has a cable operated throttle. Adds more "feel" to the driving experience since the engine responds immediately.

And the engines are EXTREMELY similar, main difference being that the RSX doesn't have balance shafts. Having driven a bunch of Type S' I prefer the throttle feel of the RSX, but the smoothness of the Si. I don't like feelback of the S past 7k, it starts to get pretty buzzy.

#23 ·
Depending on what year RSX it was(reread your OP) and for the 05-06 RSX-S they have 210 HP due to the camshafts being borrowed from the DC5 engine. Also the RSX-S has double wish bone suspension in the Rear, macpherson up front. IMHO depending on what you want out of the car, I would definitely side with the RSX-S. If you have/need a family oriented car which you can still have fun with then FA5. Up to you though Good luck and have fun :vtec:

#27 ·
I was a big time type-s fan and into 2dr and all that stuff. Now Im all about sporty sedan like fa5 with fd2 conversion, sti and evo. even frs, brz, s2k are no longer appealing to me for some reason. I wouldnt mind owning one but day to day I will rock a sporty sedan. Im only 22 and I dont have kids and wont any time soon

#28 ·
What a geezer! jk. I'm kind of the same way. :D

On a side note: why's there so much debate about the SI sedan and coupe? They're not really that different. Isn't the difference just like 50 lbs? And the Sedan supposedly has a weight distribution that's a little bit closer to 50/50? I'm sure as far as handling goes, they're a tiny bit different, but as far as handling goes, the sedan should be the same or better.

#32 ·
RSX-S statsWheelbase 2-door: 101.2 in (2,570 mm) Length 2-door: 172.2 in (4374 mm)
Width 67.9 in (1725 mm)

Wheelbase
104.3 in (264 cm) (coupe)
106.3 in (270 cm) (sedan)
Width
68.9 in (172 cm) (coupe)
69.0 in (175 cm) (sedan)
Length
174.8 in (441 cm) (2006–08 coupe)
175.5 in (4,458 mm) (2009–11 coupe)
176.7 in (447 cm) (sedan)
177.3 in (4,503 mm) (2009–11 sedan)

For the OP and those who care to understand the dynamics of wheelbase and its effect on directional changes:

Height of the center of mass relative to the wheelbase determines load transfer between front and rear. The car's momentum acts at its center of mass to tilt the car forward or backward, respectively during braking and acceleration. Since it is only the downward force that changes and not the location of the center of mass, the effect on over/under steer is opposite to that of an actual change in the center of mass. When a car is braking, the downward load on the front tires increases and that on the rear decreases, with corresponding change in their ability to take sideways load.

What you are FEELING in the RSX-S is the cars ability to change direction more quickly due to its shorter wheelbase

Being they are both FWD, Honda powered with somewhat similar suspension (Si is much better) the real effect here is weight transfer and wheelbase

The RSX-S is LIGHTER and SHORTER than the Si Sedan therefore more apt to change directions quicker - giving you that "go kart" feeling

But at higher speeds the longer wheelbase of the Sedan will be a welcome thing as directional changes at 150mph+ are generally a bad thing lol

In the olden days the EK hatch was known as the "high speed" hatch since it was more stable up top at ridiculous speeds

103.2 in (2,621 mm) EK hatch
101.3 in (2,573 mm) EG hatchback
098.4 in (2,499 mm) EF hatchback

When you jump in each hatch you can immediately feel the difference good and bad in terms of directional changes/high speed stability

The longer, heavier Sedan feels less responsive because it is....its also much more forgiving at higher speeds

#33 ·
I'll have to admit it. I did like the RSX type-s test drive a little better. I got a 1st, 2nd, and, 3rd gear scratch. But i can do that in my si too it just seemed a
Little more impressive maybe since it was the first
Car test drove out of the 5 or 6 I test drove. It came down to the condition of the car for me. All the type s's were ragged out. Tears in carpet dings scratches, broken radio glove box missing subs. Shakes under heavy braking. Oh I test drove the cars alright. My fg2 blue si stood up to the test and I couldn't be happier with my little si.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.