8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

The Official HPDE / Track Thread

237K views 3K replies 131 participants last post by  otrtkennedy 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been noticing the AutoX thread lately and just noticed there was no official Track / HPDE threads, mostly threads from MikeJ that get a lot of attention. So I think this should be the official Track / HPDE talk and chat thread.

I'll attempt to post up any links I find here that relate to this thread so they're easily found.

Good Thread with a little chat and good recommendations.
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/auto...ing-more-serious-into-racing-suggestions.html

Phenomenal Oil Thread, READ the thread from the Ferrari Forums!
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/autocross-sanctioned-drag-racing/192582-racing-oil-clarify-learn.html

Our Brake Upgrade Options
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/suspension-brakes/62478-brake-options.html

TSX Brake Swap
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/suspension-brakes/140394-tsx-brake-swap-upgrade.html

FA5 brake ducts
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/suspension-brakes/265794-fa5-brake-ducts.html

Speed Bleeders for Brakes
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/do-y...utch-bleeding-speed-bleeder-installation.html

Good Suspension Thread (For serious suspension not junk coil overs)
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/susp...pension-vs-koni-swift-springs-suspension.html

List of Coil-over options (I would add Both sets of Godspeed coil-overs to this list as well.)

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/suspension-brakes/72054-coil-over-options-06-civic.html
Next I'll give a little info about myself and it would be cool if we could copy the AutoX thread and get little introductions on people.

Name: Alex
Cars: 2009 Civic Si (Just a progress sway bar on it), 1998 BMW M3 Sedan (Track Rat)
Info: This will be my second track season and will be my first with the Civic, last year I had the pleasure to drive at New Hampshire International Speedway, and Watkins Glen, in a number of different e36's.

So who are the other track rats on the forum?

See less See more
#311 ·
Wow I ran a 2:08 with NT05's all the way around with 210whp but 300 of weight
reduction. I just run a progress bar on hfp suspension. That monoflex suspension is
the same that evasive ran in their si it must work wonders. Are those tires under
140 treadwear cuz people say r- comps drop you 2-3 seconds around the track.
Anyway that's still a good run considering he's full weight. I should try running
225's in the rear but then I can't switch them around when the fronts get used.
One of the days I went out there last year in April I also saw a red fa5 running
real fast also. We were running it CCW and it was my first time and I hated it.
That red fa5 went 2:05 give or take. He had evasive stickers on his car and
was crashed in the front from the day before.

#323 ·
Ken crashed his car @ BW front straight?

hey p1ng, do you go to cpp? im sure i've seen that car there before
Yes I do.

bc racing br series coilovers which are 30 way adjustable and camber not sure yet. stock wheels (17x7.5) and tires. basically it will be a DD that I want a ballin setup on. I will eventually be moving to a set of 17x9 +38 wheels with front and rear camber adjusters. maybe I should go 10kg springs all around?

Power mods already on car is Rick spec'd CAI, skunk2 megapower race header, Full-race 3" cat back and flashpro tune.

KAY-TWENNYZEETHREE! I CHOOSE YOU!!!
To be honest with you it is difficult to explain it here.
First of all I don't recommend most of the coils available out there.
When they say it has 30 or even 100 clicks it does not matter.
Go with well known and expensive coils because it pays off.
For example I dont understand why ppl say buddy club (N+ or RSD) or skunk2 (S/C) or Stance is a good coils.
I had N+ and it blew in 3 months of street driving.
I recommend Tein (MonoFlex, N1, SRC), JRZ, Moton, Aragosta, Crux, Cusco.
However, most of those coils that I mentioned cost arms and legs.

There's no such thing as the best coils.
Buy good quality coils and set it up to match your driving style.
Remember, 14kg set up of 1 brand is not the same as other brands.

As for my driving style, I like my rear end to slide out when I turn.
The off the shelf monoflex is not enough.

I run staggered set up, bigger rsb, stiffer spring at the back and it still not enough.
That is why I'll upgrade the rear spring to 14KG (ots came with 12kg) and see how it feels.
If 14KG is enough then good, if its not enough then I might have to go up more.

If you want to go with BC racing that's fine.
I suggest you to start with 10kg/12kg + staggered wheels.
Make sure they revalve the damper to match the spring rate.
However, if you're going for "just for looks" set up then I have no idea about that. LOL..

#318 · (Edited)
bc racing br series coilovers which are 30 way adjustable and camber not sure yet. stock wheels (17x7.5) and tires. basically it will be a DD that I want a ballin setup on. I will eventually be moving to a set of 17x9 +38 wheels with front and rear camber adjusters. maybe I should go 10kg springs all around?

Power mods already on car is Rick spec'd CAI, skunk2 megapower race header, Full-race 3" cat back and flashpro tune.

#324 ·
Ping is definetly correct. Pick your mods according to your driving style. There isn't a "best" in anything general, coils,tires, etc. You can only do "trial and error" and see what works best for you. I run spring and shock combo, stock wheels and Hankook v12 (nobody runs v12 on track :facepalm: lol). But the most important thing is to have more seat time, then you realize what you need and move from there.

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide.Com Free

#325 · (Edited)
Also, you will need a rear camber kit regardless, fronts most people run -3 and rear -1.5 to -2

I think its good to track 100% stock and move from there, suspension, wheels and tires. I knocked off 4sec with just spring and shocks on my second ever track day. I might stick with this set up till I have a need to move to coils, till then wheels, tires and seat time are on my list. Once you get to a point when you think you can't possibly improve is when you mod. Of course this is all imo

My observation for BW so far is: (vary on driver skill)

stock baseline with oem all season tires 2:12 (driver has autocross but not track yet)

Stock baseline w/rs-3 and 17x8 2:15ish (skills unknown but has 1-2 track days in, tops)

Here we see experience vs mods, as we would expect experience wins.

To get a 2:04 with bolt ons and lsd, ctr fd, brakes, wheel tires etc is crazy fast.

But to be honest, I think there is a limit to where one can only go so far with a civic that the driver has maxed out the cars potential and must move up and start over again. Good thing I'm not there yet lol. I have yet to see an 8thgen break into the 2:00 at BW but Clint in ken car was close ;)

How many times have you been out there ping to get that number?

What I'm trying to say here is, seat time is a must. Too bad it cost so much for me

#326 ·
And also let me point out that a spring and shock combo is not for track lol unless matches with ground control and revalved for spring rates.

But I think its good to learn from. Afterall, based on how many times I see the track a year and my budget, this is my best option. Would love to step up to coils but I can't see myself spending 1g for coils soo much money for me lol

#327 ·
Naw, Ken has never crashed his car.

Renzo is at a 2 flat at BW!

Listen to Ping, spend the money and buy some good suspension. I have GO Power Coilovers are they are OKAY, I feel like that's one of the things that is holding my time back. I'm just going to keep driving this year, maybe shave off a second or two and then swap over to ASR's KW v3.

Most of us have staggered setup, I have 255 fronts, 225 rears.

#332 ·
:rotfl: yeah, there's a big difference. Ken is at ~270, Renzo is at ~312

Thanks guys. I really dont think im going to go with a staggered setup. Not going to track much so it would be pointless. In regards to building valving for the spring rates, i ASSUME the BC does since if I order a set with custom spring rates, it takes extra time for BC to build them.I'll probably end up going 10 all around. Again thanks for all your help cuz i was about to order coils setup like a Fit would be lol
Good luck trying to get the rear tires to full hot if you're running anything bigger than a 225.

getting seat time is the most important thing you can do to lower you lap times. Good suspension is a close second though.

Hi P1NG,
long time no talk.

THIS.

#329 ·
Thanks guys. I really dont think im going to go with a staggered setup. Not going to track much so it would be pointless. In regards to building valving for the spring rates, i ASSUME the BC does since if I order a set with custom spring rates, it takes extra time for BC to build them.I'll probably end up going 10 all around. Again thanks for all your help cuz i was about to order coils setup like a Fit would be lol

#335 ·
Pbly not. April 15 I'll be going for HFFC. There are 4 BW events for HFFC so that's waaay enough BW for me in 1 year. That is a pretty good deal though. Any chance they will package SoW and WSIR? I like SoW CCW and I'd like to get more practice in at WSIR before the June 2nd HFFC event.

#337 ·
:Woot:

I was thinking of running 235/40 rear and 255 fronts. Cause I was thinking of running 8.5r and 9r can't find a wheel set up I want with the offset I want might have to find some rpf1 for staggered.

Does 225/45 stretch on x8? my nt01 the rim sticks outta bit, not sure if its cause the material in the tire or what :dunno:

#339 ·
theres a guy here in town that was running star specs on a DD/track car. the star specs are perfect for multi purpose. once they heat up the grip like no other road tire aside from the nt05/nt01. if I wasn't dead set on not getting tires until I get new wheels I would have them on my stockies

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.